“I like sunset at 4:30, said no one ever”
by Andrea Elizabeth
Cept me, I spose. I saw that on a Facebook meme.
1. Some people look forward to the end of the day. The end of the day is the end of the traditional work period. It is a time to rest from labors.
2. Daylight Savings Time is about conserving artificial light. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Yes, I use light bulbs, and a backlit computer screen. But as Ayn Rand says to charges of hypocrisy in taking social security, ‘you created this ubiquitous, all-encompassing mess, making my lifestyle impossible or at least activisty, so I must use your fix.’ But I think she liked artificial light.
2. Starting an hour earlier also makes the workday get over-with quicker.
3. Maybe a lot of American anxiety and stress comes from working too late. Extra toys and work-saving devices don’t seem to make it any better.
4. Work-saving devices make it worse because you’ve artificially prolonged the work day so there’s nothing to do but feel like you should be doing more.
5. Nighttime, candles, and fireplaces make people feel less stressed.